Know your status?
SICKLE CELL DISEASE TRAIT TESTING / GENETIC COUNSELING
People who inherit one sickle cell gene and one normal gene have sickle cell trait (SCT). People with SCT usually do not have any of the symptoms of sickle cell disease (SCD), but they can pass the trait on to their children. How Sickle Cell Trait: • If both parents have SCT, there is a 50% (or 1 in 2) chance that any child of theirs will also have SCT, if the child inherits the sickle cell gene from one of the parents. Such children will not have symptoms of SCD, but they can pass SCT on to their children. • If both parents have SCT, there is a 25% chance that any child of theirs will have SCD. There is the same 25% (or 1 in 4) chance that the child will not have SCD or SCT. • If one parent has SCT, there is a 50% (or 1 in 2) chance that any child of this parent will have SCT and an equal 50% chance that the child will not have SCT. Sickle Cell Disease trait testing is available at various TPS events! Email us at email@example.com for information on our next event. You may also want to take our sickle cell survey. Simply go to our survey tab and take our survey.